Re: 2.2.16pre5, ST36451A and "hdc: drive not ready for command"

From: Samuli Kaski (samkaski@cs.helsinki.fi)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 02:18:33 EST

[ This was actually a private e-mail but since Ville wrote me in english
I assume he ment to send it to l-k ]

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Ville Herva wrote:

> But is the drive that causes the messages on HPT366 or PIIX bus? I have no
> problems with the IBM on HPT366 bus, the Seagate on PIIX IDE1 bus however

With my setup I have problems with the drive on the HPT366, the PIIXes
work just fine (4 drives attached).

> I will try that CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ thing, though, as soon as I boot.

My earlier comment seems to no longer hold water. I am still getting
those IRQ errors when banning heavily on the ATA/66 drive that is
attached to the HPT366. Right now /proc/interrupts says that ide2 is
sharing IRQs with one of the pcnet32's which can't be good.

Since Andre just released some IRQ sharing patches and might be working
on the very subject I am keeping quiet for now. Would be nice to get the
drive working though.

> AFAIK it's the same more or less with every board? BP6 with its HPT366

I am not sure. If my memory hasn't given up on me, I have had boards on
which the BIOS has had more to say about the IRQ/INT# assignment than
what it does on the BP6.

> (ex1370) on PCI4 (usb disabled on BIOS). But nothing should collide with
> IDE1, should it?

Not to my understanding. My original reply was a "just another BP6 thing"
-posting, I wasn't that sure it would be directly helpful to you.

Maybe in your case it's just about bad cabling/connectors/power supply
or just a dying drive?

        Samuli