Re: 2.2.16pre5, ST36451A and "hdc: drive not ready for command"

From: Ville Herva (vherva@niksula.hut.fi)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 02:48:21 EST

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 10:18:33AM +0300, you [Samuli Kaski] claimed:
> [ This was actually a private e-mail but since Ville wrote me in english
> I assume he ment to send it to l-k ]
>
> On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Ville Herva wrote:
>
> Since Andre just released some IRQ sharing patches and might be working
> on the very subject I am keeping quiet for now. Would be nice to get the
> drive working though.

Hmm.

> > AFAIK it's the same more or less with every board? BP6 with its HPT366
>
> I am not sure. If my memory hasn't given up on me, I have had boards on
> which the BIOS has had more to say about the IRQ/INT# assignment than
> what it does on the BP6.

Ok. I won't claim otherwise.

> > (ex1370) on PCI4 (usb disabled on BIOS). But nothing should collide with
> > IDE1, should it?
>
> Not to my understanding. My original reply was a "just another BP6 thing"
> -posting, I wasn't that sure it would be directly helpful to you.

Ack.

> Maybe in your case it's just about bad cabling/connectors/power supply
> or just a dying drive?

It might be cablings or something. I don't think (hope) it's a dying
drive, since I've seen these errors for a long time, and never lost data.
I had a dying drive some time ago, but that didn't lock up the machine.
I'll see if the drive works on another bus or if any other physical setup
changes affect the matter.

-- v --

v@iki.fi