ide broken since 2.3.99-pre9 ?

From: Sven LUTHER (luther@lambda.u-strasbg.fr)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 03:45:24 EST

Hello, ...

i hope this is the right place for stuff like this, so please indicate me the
right place if it is not so, ...

I own a Iwill XA100+ board with a ALI M1541 chipset and a 20Go UDMA66 IBM
harddisk.

2.3.99-pre8 worked fine on this etup, but both 2.399-pre9 and 2.4.0-test1,
compiled with the same .config don't work. The boot messages show that the
kernel can't read the partition table, at elast that is the earliest message i
manage to read, the rest having scrolled up. and since it is my only
harddisk, i cannot boot into this kernel, thus no way of saving the log to
file :(((.

i have the disk partitioned with a 6 GB windows/dos/whatever partition, then a
<1Go root partition, andthe rest of the stuff on a extended partition.

Is this a known problem ? how can it be fixed ?

BTW i have two less important problems :

  * i have a new usb trackball, but ti am not able to load the usb-ohci
    module, because it don't find an irq for usb (irq 5 under windows, the
    module reports irq 0 and suggest using pci=biosirq, which don't help.

  * (maybe a userland question ?) how comes my board don't autopoweroff when i
    halt it ?

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER