Re: (reiserfs) Re: Red Hat (was Re: reiserfs)

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 04:21:29 EST

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 03:51:13AM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > Hans> earth they are not. RedHat has done a lot for Linux users. Many
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> yes - a lot, but not for users but to GAIN more users.
> that's a big difference

Umm, software raid, the Alpha and Sparc ports, the 2.2 kernel series,
ext2 and ext3, large memory support, the multithreaded 2.4 page
cache... the amount of software which is maintained or co-maintained
by kernel developers funded by Red Hat to do kernel work full time is
pretty long.

And it's not just Red Hat --- a lot of the old-time kernel developers
who are now working for LinuxCare, SuSE or VA, to pick a few, are
still heavily involved in the core kernel development and maintenance.
This is a Good Thing, and the developers concerned still work together
as a kernel team even when their salaries are coming from competing
Linux companies. Frankly, I think that the funding of Linux
development by these companies has worked out pretty well for existing
Linux users.

--Stephen