Re: (reiserfs) Re: Red Hat (was Re: reiserfs)

From: Xuan Baldauf (xuan--reiserfs@baldauf.org)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 11:47:12 EST

Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> > have a stock SuSE system, but sometimes need updates. At first, I'll search at
> > rpmfind.net and usually I can find a new version, but only for RedHat or
> > RawHide. Installing and upgrading is mostly fine for normal utils like grep,
> > patch, etc. But when I want to upgrade glibc, some things (like
> > /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/ISO-8859-1) are owned by glibc on red hat systems
> > while they are owned by localedb on my SuSE system. Therefore I get a warning
> > and need to use the --force option when using rpm.
> >
> > For servers, it's even worse, a RedHat /etc/rc.d/squid has following lines:
> >
> > # Source function library.
> > . /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
> >
> > Unfortunately, a SuSE system has not a file /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions.
> > Therefore the script fails or prints error messages. For every SuSE system, I
> > have to write special files to make it upgradeable with RedHat rpms...
> and there is VERY simple solution for this with non-comercial software
> like squid.
> compile everything yourself, works with any distribution

This only works if your disk space is constantly growing. It would be like many
people do it with windows, make the disk space full with everything, and if it's too
full, reformat. This is not an option for me. I need the feature of rpm to actually
remove nearly everything which belongs to a package I do not need anymore.

Xuân. :o)