Re: [BUG] Kernel 2.4.0-test1-ac10 changes open of symlink behavior.

From: Daniel Pittman (daniel@danann.net)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 23:57:19 EST

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

[...]

>> except that one. Notice that O_EXCL is different: plain O_CREAT
>> applied to a normal symlink will happily open the targt, with O_EXCL
>> it will return -EEXIST. IOW, in case of O_EXCL we are asking for a
>> different behaviour which happens to prohibit following broken links
>> for a different reason. It doesn't remove the reasons for doing the
>> same without O_EXCL.
>
> Compatibility, history, not breaking emacs..

I followed the thread, but couldn't seem to see a conclusion at the end
of it. I also tested 2.4.0-test1-ac17 just now and it exhibits the same
issue.

Is the conclusion that I should be fixing XEmacs to follow the symlink
in userspace rather than relying on the kernel?

FWIW, there is /no/ support for doing this in XEmacs at present - which
would make linux-2.4 the only system where this was needed, so far as I
could see.

Thanks,
        Daniel

--
When you steal from one author, it's plagiarism;
if you steal from many, it's research.