PDC20262 - 2.{2,3,4}.* - DMA Disabling - all help shall be greatly appreciated

From: John Anthony Kazos Jr. (jkazos@vt.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 00:49:59 EST

(First paragraph directed to Andre Hedrick. Remainder directed to the list.)

Mr. Hedrick, I understand you are very busy, especially since I notice how
rapidly patches are being released for 2.4.0-test1 which include ATA/IDE
updates. But I noticed how very quickly you respond to messages on the list
but not through personal email, so I'm posting this to the list. I simply wish
to repeat that I'm willing to test any code you throw at me to fix this. If the
reason you have not yet responed is that you are too busy, I completely
understand; in any case, I greatly appreciate the work you've done for our
community.
---Original-Message---
The problem is it won't use my Promise Ultra66 card for ide2/ide3.

I can't get it to turn off DMA. I turned off the Use DMA When Available option,
but it boots DMA anyway; hdparm reports that use_dma is 0; and if I try to turn
off Generic DMA Support, I can't use the Promise and VIA drivers. According to
Documentation/ide.txt, "idex=autotune" should set it to the best PIO setting,
but apparently it really means the best PIO or DMA setting, which would be a
bug in the docs.

Why doesn't DMA work with VIA? (I have the KX133 chipset.)

And in any case, if there is an issue with ide0/ide1, why could this be
affecting ide2/ide3?

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> What is the problem?
>
> All I see is that you are trying to run ATAPI on VIA in DMA, bad move!
> Change the BIOS to PIO only and it should get better.
---********-*******---

(-General-Inquiry-)

I've tried 2.2.16 with the AH patch, 2.3.99-pre9, 2.4.0-test1-ac13,
2.4.0-test1-ac12 with the AH patch, and 2.4.0-test1-ac17, and none of them work
at all. Is this a known problem, or is it just me? If the latter, could someone
*please* help me to figure out what is wrong? It's not the cables; they're
ATA/66 and both the one connected to ide2 and the one connected to ide3 work
perfectly well swapped with the one connected to ide1.

(I've included relevant files like dmesg and .config many times before, so I'll
send them to anyone willing to help me rather than make the whole list download
them again. The general problem is that my Promise Ultra66 card is initialized
by the kernel, which lists the data for ide2 and ide3, but it never actually
initializes ide2 and ide3 so it doesn't find any drives on them.)

On a side note, the kernel uses DMA whether or not I use CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO,
and though hdparm reports my drives (on ide0 and ide1) as not using_dma. Also,
even if I hdparm -d1 -k1 my drives, and turn off DMA in the BIOS, it *still*
uses DMA. It won't turn off! Anyone have any ideas on that?