Re: Console Blanking

From: Edward Betts (edward@debian.org)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 08:59:10 EST

Mario Kadastik <mariok@et.ee> wrote:
> My suggestion is, would it be possible to add console blanking as an
> option to make {config; menuconfig; xconfig} ...
>
> It would be very useful, because when running a high load server and
> it once in a while hangs, then with console blanking I will not see the
> last kernel messages on screen ...
>
> Currently I have solved the problem by brute forcely commenting out the
> contents of blank_console() and unblank_console() functions in console.c
> .... But that breaks X (the server ain't running X, so there is no
> unstability there, but I tested it at my workbench and it hanged the system
> while switching between X and console) ...
>
> Would be glad to see that feature nicely not with brute force commenting
> ;)

I like this idea, does anybody plan to write a patch? I think I might have a
go. I played with the screen blanking code when I was messing with my
secondary monitor, an IBM MDA. One concern I have is that the console code is
all changing, currently screen blanking does not support multihead, only the
current screen is blanked; should this change be part of the new console code,
or should it be done as a patch against the current kernel?

--
Don't worry  --  shop.