Re: nfs, exportfs feature?

From: Rui Sousa (rsousa@grad.physics.sunysb.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 00:11:25 EST

Neil Brown wrote:

> On Tuesday June 13, rsousa@grad.physics.sunysb.edu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just realized that exporting a directory with an already mounted
> > file system pins it down and it's not possible to umount it. That is:
> >
> > mount /dev/hda1 /tmp
> > exportfs -r <-- export /tmp
> > umount /tmp <-- fails (/tmp busy)
> > exportfs -au
> > umount /tmp <-- succeeds
> >
> > But if I do:
> >
> > exportfs -r
> > mount /tmp
> > umount /tmp <-- succeeds
> >
> > Is this right? Or not a kernel issue?
> >
> > This is kernel 2.2.16, knfsd-1.4.7-7 and RedHat 6.1
> >
> > Rui Sousa
>
> Yep, thats right.
> Same as if you cd to the directory, or hold open a file in the mounted
> filesystem or ....

In all these situations the directory is actually being used.
In the above I'm talking about when _no_ clients have mounted
the file system trough nfs and there are no open files.

> How do you expect knfsd to export something that isn't mounted?

It does so in the second example. The mount point is always and are
exporting the mount point. Whatever is mounted there, if anything at all,
should not matter.

> Do you have a specific problem with this, or were you just wondering?

An exported filesystem mounted locally using autofs never expires.

Rui Sousa