Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggestsdelaying

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 11:35:15 EST

Theodore Y. Ts'o writes:
> Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 02:43:15 +1000
> From: Colin McCormack <colin@field.medicine.adelaide.edu.au>
>
> Reiser has some opinions regarding the political and economic nature
> of Linux development. The views may have merit, or none, but that's
> completely unrelated to the nature of the code he's
> producing/produced.
>
> While I agree with this in principle in general (although I wonder
> how much of the code is actually Han's; it seems that he's managed
> to con a bunch of programmers to do his work for him), I remain
> concerned that we not set a precedent that the way to get something
> into the kernel is to act like a paranoid asshole. That to me would
> be rewarding the wrong sets of behaviour.

I agree that we don't want to reward that kind of behaviour. On the
other hand, it doesn't help to cast a flame about Hans "conning"
others to do the work. He states that the design is his, he's just
paid others to implement it. If so, I don't see a problem with that.

And even its not all/mostly his design, he has at least sponsored it.

And if we're going to be true to our ideals here, all that matters is
the code, not who wrote it or their behaviour. He shouldn't be
rewarded for bad behaviour, but he shouldn't be singled out for
exclusion either. He has not sinned alone.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca