Re: [Q] bzip instead of gzip compression in rd/bootup?

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 09:18:56 EST

"Ph. Marek" wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Looking through the kernel sources I found (in drivers/block/rd.c) that currently only gzip is supported for the compressed ram fs.
>
> Is there any intend to change/extend that to bzip2? for use in floppy boot disks with attached compressed rd it would be better.

I've done work towards this, feel free to take it and adapt it.
http://gtf.org/garzik/kernel/files/initrd-bzip2-2.2.13-2.patch.gz

> And, 2nd part: is it possible to get the kernel bzip2 compressed?? could save some space too.

Sure, but you have to get a bzip2 unloader into the kernel startup. And
into various bootloader utilities which uncompress the kernel image
themselves before starting it.

> as there are some discussions about leaving zImage and moving to bzImage this could be a chance to change that too.

You're not confusing "bzImage" with bzip2 compression are you?

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Liberty is always dangerous, but
Building 1024            | it is the safest thing we have.