Re: Floppy Handling

From: Jacques Richer (jricher@bankri.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 15:49:33 EST

> Not sure I like that, TBH. We shouldn't go filling up the user's disk with
> caches unless we really need to - I'd much rather use the free swap space
> for this.

Your approach seems better to me for floppies, I agree. Unfortunately, if you extend
this to CDROM (650mb...) you can easily blow up the machine by running out of VM.
Many of the machines I run here do not have more than 500mb or so of swap space, and
use very little of that...

> > 2) By putting the floppy disk drive handling code in user space, we can steal
> > ^H^H^H^H^H borrow large pieces of the mtools libs and avoid reinventing the
> > wheel. At least that code is stable.
>
> I suspect the kernel's floppy handling code is stable too ;-)

This was not meant as a knock to the kernel FDD code. (I have never had any trouble
with it.) I was simply pointing out that the mtools libs would probably require less
rewrite than grabbing pieces out of the msdos filesystem code in the kernel. I may
be wrong. If so, please correct me.

> All we really need to do is add a couple of hooks here and there. Get the
> floppy driver caching as aggressively as possible into VM, and add some
> feedback mechanism to alert a UI daemon to tell the user off if they pull
> the disk out while Linux is still using it, and to umount the disk if it's
> been removed and we aren't still syncing it.
>
> James.

I was thinking of hooks into the vfs layer to work with a user-space deamon. This
way, we can put the necessary code into userland and if it's done carefully a crash
of the userland daemod would be recoverable. This is just conceptual, as I am not
terribly familiar with the vfs code.

--
  Jacques