getrusage and ACURATE microsecond timing

From: B Wyatt (wyatbar@charlie.cns.iit.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 16:07:17 EST

can anyone tell me if there is a patch available that adds microsecond
resolution to getrusage AND fixes the sloppy tick counting in the kernel. As
it is I have a kernel that accounts for the missing digits (from 10ms place
down to microsecond) by use of rdtsc to measure the time between the last
tick and the call, which is fine except the original getrusage is flawed.
To illustrate I offer an example. Process A has been running for 30
milliseconds and during that time made 2 1 millisecond system calls. The
ticks occured lined up with these calls. however since technically on the
tick it was a system process not user, the ticks were given to the system
usage time thus getrusage returns 10ms user and 20ms system as opposed to
20ms user and 10ms system which is would be more accurate but still wrong.

anyway, I need to find out if there is already a patch to account for this
flaw and the usec resolution is really extra.

-bart