Re: PCI DMA into USER space

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 14:49:42 EST

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Russell King wrote:

> Richard B. Johnson writes:
> > No! This is a common misconseption! By default, all PCI transactions
> > are posted.
>
> Wrong. I hope you've read the PCI spec. If not, you're going to look
> silly shortly....
>
> The spec quite clearly says that "Memory read transactions, ..., and
> configuration transactions are non-posted". It goes on to give some
> exceptions to this rule which do not include memory read transactions.
>
> Therefore, your assertion that "all PCI transactions" are posted is
> flawed.

This is bs semaitics. There is no way a READ can be posted. As I took
the time to carefully explain about WRITE posting. Further, of course
configuration transactions are not posted. Configuration and posting
are not even related. Configuration writes to the controller. The
high-bit being set tells the controller this is a configuration
"instruction". Such instructions are not "transactions".

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.36 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.