Re: 2.4 setproctitle breakage (was reiserfs marathon thread)

From: Nick Holloway (Nick.Holloway@pyrites.org.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 13:28:26 EST

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 03:41:02AM +0400, Khimenko Victor wrote:
> Nick Holloway (Nick.Holloway@pyrites.org.uk) wrote:
> NH> I posted a patch in March which changes the behaviour of /proc/$$/cmdline
> NH> to be compatable with that of 2.2 -- so an application can use the
> NH> environment space in addition to the command line for the purpose of
> NH> setproctitle.
>
> It's just plain wrong thing to do. Adding hack to make other hack working
> is bad thing(tm). Using environment space in addition to command line can
> lead to strange results (enviroment was NOT added to make setproctitle(3)
> happy - there are can be some interesting bits, you know).

The fact is existing applications scribble in the environment space
for setproctitle (after relocating the environment variables so getenv,
sentenv continue to work). This worked in 2.2, and is broken by 2.4.

The problem with adding a system call to support this is that existing
applications need to be modified to use it, and there is no compatability
between 2.2 and 2.4.

--
 `O O'  | Nick.Holloway@pyrites.org.uk
// ^ \\ | http://www.pyrites.org.uk/