Re: Code and Community (was Re: reiserfs)

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 04:00:24 EST

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Colin McCormack wrote:
> > Chip goes on:
> > Open source development is a cooperative venture. It is therefore
> > dangerous to accept a person's contributions without also considering
> > the eventual costs of rewarding him and keeping him hanging around.
>
> > 'What does it benefit a [project] to gain [world domination],
> > but lose [its own sense of community]?'
>
> Hmmm. A biblical reference. Very persuasive if you happen to belong to a
> particular culture. You can almost spot the version of the bible with which
> Chip's familiar. It's not KJV, but it's derived from it. Some kind of New
> English thing, I think.

most of us have our eyes closed and ears shut when we speak thus (on both
sides). Let us therefore open our eyes and behold that we work towards one
goal, to wit, the triumph of reason (Linus) and freedom (Linux) over the
powers of ignorance (Bill Gates) and slavery (Windows).

If I would say "let us love one another as he first loved us" would you
also label me as having very narrow/culture-specific ideals (and perhaps
even misdetect the Bible translation I use)? Even so, let the brotherly
love continue and the kernel development prosper, something which is
impossible in the enemy camp, where the treasured things wax old and moth
corrupteth and thief approacheth.

Regards,
Tigran