Re: Compiling Linux 2.2.16+ with Dell Proprietary PERC 3/Si Raid Device

From: Nicholas Marouf (marouf@earlham.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 08:14:06 EST

        And the Dell support line has no idea what is going on. I am surprised
they know what linux is for that fact. I know I am sounding harsh, but
what advice do people have on getting Dell to release this as src. I've
been calling and pestering them, and also posting messages to their
delltalk page at http://delltalk.us.dell.com

thanks,
Nick

Alan Cox wrote:

> > I have a couple of Dell PowerEdge 4350 computers with a PERC 3/Si raid
> > controller installed as the boot device. I know about Dell's website that has
> > a binary-only version of their percraid.o module, but they provide no means
> > of upgrading this kernel to 2.2.15 or 2.2.16 while using the same binary
> > driver.
>
> <heartless>
> Now you understand why we advise people to avoid binary only drivers.
> </heartless>
>
> Im given to understand that at some point this driver may get open sourced,
> until then, well its your telelphone versus dells support line.
>
> Alan
>
> -

Nicholas Marouf | Assistant Systems  Administrator | Earlham College