Re: kswapd at 96% CPU on my 16Mb system

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 11:58:52 EST

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Kees Bakker wrote:

> With test1-ac17 I still have very bad performance, because
> kswapd eats almost all of the CPU cycles. The bare test1 was a
> little better, but not much.
>
> With ALT-scroll-lock I was able to see that it spends most of
> its time in wake_up and friends.

In wake_up .. interesting.

> Is there a way to tune kswapd behaviour on my machine? Or, are
> there certain things I can try?

It would be interesting to see some vmstat figures (and
other stuff) from your machine so we have a feel for
what's going on...

One thing that could be going on is that kswapd is simply
freeing too little pages at a time and gets woken up all
the time...

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.