Re: /dev/pts for UNIX98 PTY

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 18:08:03 EST

In <8ibbhj$n8d$1@cesium.transmeta.com> H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com) wrote:
> Followup to: <000701bfd6c0$1699b420$6a9090d4@talknet>
> By author: <Matman@arcormail.de>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
>>
>> Dear kerneldevelopers!
>>
>> I tried to run kernel-2.4.0test1-ac19 on a SuSE6.4 system. With the supports
>> i selecded it seems to run correct. But at shutdown there is one problem.
>> The halt script is unable to umount the devpts filesystem. Is it possible
>> that this is a bug in your sourcecode? i tryed to make some changes in the
>> halt script. Whithout success. I am not a very experienced script developer,
>> so it is possible that i failed by doing necessary changes. And i copy now
>> the relevant files into this mail, so you can see if it is a bug or not. I
>> would be glad if you let me know what i have to change in the scripts, if
>> you know a god possibility and this message is no bug.
>>

> Make sure you don't have any pty's open at the time you try to
> shutdown. If you're typing "halt" in an xterm, for example, it may
> not be able to close the pty.

> It really shouldn't matter anyway. devpts doesn't contain any
> persistent state.

Hmm. Looks like we need change in util-linux. It knows about proc and will
not try to unmount it. But now we have devpts, devfs, shmfs (is it all?)
with the same problem. I'm not sure if we need to add more magic to it,
though. Perhaps better to add just one "magic" mount option ("noumount" or
something) and then it'll be problem for distribution creators, not util-linux
maintainer.