Re: warning: trigraph ... ignored

From: Thorsten Kranzkowski (th@Marvin.DL8BCU.ampr.org)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 11:39:07 EST

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 10:23:39PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > > -Wall turns on -Wtrigraphs. ANSI says trigraph processing happens even
> > > in comments, and there are very rare cases where they could conceivably
> > > make a difference (though not in this one). ??/ is turned into \.
> > >
> > > Adding -Wno-trigraphs after -Wall should shut up the compiler.
> > >

> This is obviously a gcc bug. The documentation says:
>
> `-Wtrigraphs'
> Warn if any trigraphs are encountered (assuming they are
> enabled).
>
> It also says:
>
> `-trigraphs'
> Support ANSI C trigraphs. You don't want to know about this
> brain-damage. The `-ansi' option implies `-trigraphs'.

Oh - I should have looked that up ...

> There is no -no-trigraphs option.

Actually there is (from gcc.info):

  Each of these specific warning options also has a negative form
  beginning `-Wno-' to turn off warnings; for example, `-Wno-implicit'.

> We don't *want* trigraphs, since they invoke behaviour that is
> generally unexpected. There is nothing on that command line that
> should have turned trigraphs on. Thus, I conclude that the

Yes, I agree.

> -Wtrigraphs option is broken in the version of gcc you're using (2.96,
> right?) and that this bug should be reported.

Ok - I will report that a second time.
Thanks for your infos!

> -hpa
> --

Bye,
Thorsten

--
| Thorsten Kranzkowski        Internet: dl8bcu@gmx.net                        |
| Mobile: ++49 170 1876134       Snail: Niemannsweg 30, 49201 Dissen, Germany |