Re: Compiling Linux 2.2.16+ with Dell Proprietary PERC 3/Si Raid Device

From: Jonathan A. Davis (jonathan@evergreen.otr.usm.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 10:59:58 EST

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > I have a couple of Dell PowerEdge 4350 computers with a PERC 3/Si raid
> > controller installed as the boot device. I know about Dell's website that has
> > a binary-only version of their percraid.o module, but they provide no means
> > of upgrading this kernel to 2.2.15 or 2.2.16 while using the same binary
> > driver.
>
> <heartless>
> Now you understand why we advise people to avoid binary only drivers.
> </heartless>

Unfortunately, some of us are being more or less *stuck* with them. We
ordered a machine (Dell 4400). Requested and received a quote itemizing a
PERC-II (which is opensourced), ordered it, and received a system with a
PERC-III on the MOTHERBOARD!. Dell's response was "we can ship you a
PERC-II and you can disable the on-board one for $$$$". We're a state
institution so you can guess the road I have to travel. :-(

-Jonathan