Re: Semi up to date JOBS list

From: Manfred Spraul (manfred@colorfullife.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 08:05:58 EST

From: "Rik van Riel" <riel@conectiva.com.br>

> > |who has added the PG_AGE_ stuff to filemap.c? It's behaving quite badly
on
> > |SMP - a simple stream of reads cause 20-30% kswapd activity, with the
> > |majority of the profiling hits getting the
'PageTestandClearRreferenced()'
> > |line.
>
> This was the case *before* ac10. The patchlet that went into
> ac10 always *resets* the referenced bit before adding a page
> to the lru list...

Is that bit often set, or usually zero?
If the bit is usually zero, we might replace TestAndClear with
TestAndTestAndClear: we avoid the lock cycle if the bit was already 0.
Atomic operations are extremely slow, e.g. the ia64 spinlock asm code
internally uses TestAndTestAndSet in spin_lock();

--
    Manfred