Re: Linux 2.4.0-test1-ac16

From: Ed Carp (erc@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 17:37:57 EST

Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk) writes:

> > > All the non x86 platforms got broken by the ptrace change. This fixes an ugly
> > > kernel race and needs asm level changes for the other platforms. Painful
> > > but important to do.
> >
> > An extremely shortsighted thing to do. The x86 platform isn't the only platform
> > that runs Linux, and these sorts of changes should be done for ALL platforms
> > at once, rather than fixing "ugly" kernel stuff (which should've been fixed
> > before anyway) at the expense of non-x86 platforms.
>
> Tough. Its up to you to fix the other platforms. Its always worked like this.

In other words, Alan tells the non-x86 folks that they can (in the words of
one of my favorite movies) "all line up and kiss his ass!" ROFL!

> I am not playing nanny and co-ordinator to all the port maintainers. It broke
> the PPC and Alpha folks have updated their ports. Either fix the sparc one
> or wait until someone does. If I wait for all the maintainers then everyone
> suffers. If we break ports now and then most of them don't.
>
> The ptrace race is a real genuine bug. It had to be fixed.

Oh, pretty please, DOCUMENT THE ASM CHANGES so we don't have to figure out
what the hell you did to fix it? I hate to be a pain in the ass and scream
yet again about kernel docs, but it really needs to be done if people want to
consider themselves professional programmers working on a system they want to
be accepted by the mainstream. It also makes porting code to other platforms
A LOT LESS PAINFUL. See, one of my clients is this really big hardware company
and I'd really like them to continue down the Linux road, but it's a tough sell
if the technical gang tells them that VxWorks or PsOS is a lot better because
they're designed to be relatively easy to port to other platforms.

--
Ed Carp, N7EKG  	erc@pobox.com		940/367-2744 cell phone
			http://www.pobox.com/~erc