Re: 2.2.16 VM issues

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 19:30:11 EST

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

>This gave better VM behaviour, but I still notice problems.

The patch is fine when we're not oom (the difference is that it swapouts
more aggresively and it frees more ram per pass). When we're oom it will
become more difficult to kill a task but it should work there too.

>Now i'll try out to wait on dirty buffers at sync_page_buffers() (like 2.4
>does), which may help.

Could you show me a `vmstat 1` while you're noticing the problems? The
tests in the testcase are quite strict and they may not be tuned right to
allocate the right amount of memory on a 8mbyte box.

Andrea