Re: Linux 2.2.17pre3

From: Ben Pfaff (pfaffben@msu.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 20:01:12 EST

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> > It seems to me that such a device could be designed to not need
> > modification of the keyboard itself. Instead, it would look a
> > little like a PS2->AT adapter, or it could even *be* one of them
> > too; you would insert it between the computer and the keyboard.
> > With USB it might be even easier: just plug in a dongle to a USB
> > port.
>
> So you are going to sit in the office in question with a hacksaw sawing
> up a cable and soldering things in ?

My intention was that it would be a pass-through: you plug the
cable from the keyboard into one end and plug the other end of
the device into the keyboard port. Then actually installing it
would be trivial: reach behind the machine, pull out the keyboard
cable, plug in the device, plug the keyboard cable into the
device.

Actually making the device itself would be nontrivial, but it
would not be necessary to make it in the office in question; make
it outside on your own time and carry it in. Or is this office
one where you are frisked for this sort of thing as you go in?
To me, this is just an intellectual game; I don't know anything
about this sort of office.

--
"Let others praise ancient times; I am glad I was born in these."
--Ovid (43 BC-18 AD)