Re: question about kernel patches

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Sat Jun 17 2000 - 06:20:50 EST

In <0a3d01bfd7c6$a1f3d030$c40417ac@v58m7> Rajeev Bector (rbec1@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Are kernel patches only available as a COMBO or

Usually.

> is there a way to pull up a specific fix..

No. Sometimes IMPORTANT specific fixes are available separately. But it's
exception, not rule.

> For example, if I want to get the "dcache corruption" fix (I think
> the bug was present in 2.2.13 and the fix appeared
> in 2.2.14), is there a way for me to:

> [1] get exact details of what the problem was and what
> the fix does ?

> [2] pull a patch that just has the fix for this bug as opposed
> to pulling in all of 2.2.14 ?

You can scan lklm to find out who proposed fix (and related discussion) and
may be you can found fix (not so often: quite a few patches was NEVER send
to lklm but just directly to Alan/Linus/etc) in his (her) letter. But usually
it's just seek for troubles: MUCH easier to just upgrade kernel.