Are there still ext2fs corruption problems?

From: Kenneth C. Arnold (kcarnold@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 21:21:56 EST

(cc'ing to EXT2 maintainer)

Although I have had some recent freezes, bootup fsck has shown no problems.
However, I'm seeing some really weird (yeah I know you've probably seen
weirder) stuff in /etc (ext2). Sample shell session below:

dolphin:/etc# l mime.types
b---r-S--T 1 nobody 26994 44, 101 Aug 20 2021 mime.types
# why the heck is that a device? It used to be a regular file, and it was
# like that before I ran fsck manually. And what's with those weird perms?
dolphin:/etc# rm -f mime.types
rm: cannot unlink `mime.types': Operation not permitted
# Huh?
dolphin:/etc# chown root.root mime.types
chown: mime.types: Operation not permitted
# HUH?!?!

Yes, I have run fsck on it after this and it detects no problems.

This is with ac21, although the problems were likely caused in ac19; I just
recently upgraded.

Assuming the best-case scenario, i.e., this is a known bug and has been fixed,
what can I do with it now? I'm afraid to play with in with debugfs lest I
mess it up more. This is happening with 5 other files also.

This is a fairly new drive, but I wouldn't totally discredit hardware problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kenneth