Re: shrink_mmap() change in ac-21

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 17:10:00 EST

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Zlatko Calusic wrote:
> > The shrink_mmap() change in your latest prepatch (ac12) doesn't look
> > very healthy. Removing the test for the wrong zone we effectively
> > discard lots of wrong pages before we get to the right one. That is
> > effectively flushing the page cache and we have unbalanced system.
>
> You know, there may be some sense in removing pages from the
> wrong zone, if those wrong zones are quite full.

If the zone is full, it can't be a "wrong zone". The problem
was that we kept removing pages from zones they shouldn't be
removed from. If a zone has zone->free_pages > zone->pages_high,
we should stop freeing pages from that zone.

> If the DMA zone desparately needs free pages and keeps needing
> them, isn't it good to encourage future non-DMA allocations to
> use another zone?

Ahh, but we already do this (up to zone->pages_high). It just
doesn't make sense to keep doing this infinitely ;)

Please wait a few more minutes for a patch which should fix it.
I've assembled a very conservative patch set, grabbing bits from
patches by Juan Quintela, Roger Larson and one minute snippet
from the old 2.3 code...

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.