Re: Connection refused messages when console idle??

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 18:21:39 EST

> out because Big Brother warns us when it does. When this happens, any
> connection attempt results in Connection Refused. The machine responds to
> pings. This problem isn't temporary because it went on for days at one
> point before we noticed (the server isn't in production yet :)

The connection refused is an odd one. Hangs, no connection, connect and wait
all make sense. A connection refused means somethign actively chose to stop
listening

> The odd part is that all of the services snap back to life once someone
> logs in via the console. Maybe even just when someone hits some keys (but
> I can't verify this since it's only happened twice). Nothing appears in
> the system logs.
>
> I've run many Linux installations and I've never seen anything like
> this. The server is Red Hat 6.1 (kernel 2.2.12). Is this a known problem?

I see two possibilities

1. The server app chose to stop listening but I dont see why console
        would affect it.

2. Someone else is clashing with the IP address occasionally. If so the
        console activity to the net would rewrite the arp cache entries in the
        routers back correctly.

Most odd however