Re: Connection refused messages when console idle??

From: Michael Bacarella (mbac@nyct.net)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 19:19:46 EST

> > I've run many Linux installations and I've never seen anything like
> > this. The server is Red Hat 6.1 (kernel 2.2.12). Is this a known problem?
>
> I see two possibilities
>
> 1. The server app chose to stop listening but I dont see why console
> would affect it.
>
> 2. Someone else is clashing with the IP address occasionally. If so the
> console activity to the net would rewrite the arp cache entries in the
> routers back correctly.

Amazing. It was in fact 2. Some Windows box (wrongly) took the same
IP address. Thanks for the lightning fast response.

We verified this by instructing the Linux server to reboot while pinging
it's address. While it was rebooting we started getting replies. The
router's arp cache showed that the MAC address changed. Gosh
that's frustrating. :)

-MB