Re: 2.3.99-pre?+, /proc/mounts

From: Forever shall I be. (zinx@linuxfreak.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 20:31:59 EST

Goswin Brederlow wrote:

> > Just in case no one else has noticed, /proc/mounts has been broken for a
> > while.. I know it's broken in 2.3.99-pre9+ (to 2.4.0-test1-ac19), but
> > it's probably been broken since before then..
>
> > here's a sample /proc/mounts, so you can see what I mean:
>
> > none / shm rw 0 0
> > none pipe: pipefs rw 0 0
>
> What is this actually? This entry made find break. (and thus updatedb)

This is garbage.

> > none / proc rw 0 0
> > none / devpts rw 0 0
>
> You have devfs to be mounted during boot (just as I have) it seems.
>
> > /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 / ext2 rw 0 0
> > none /dev devfs rw 0 0
>
> Now you mount /dev again? Why? Is that caused by devfsd? (i run
> without it)

The first four entries are *COMPLETE GARBAGE*, they DO NOT exist -- devfs
is only being mounted once (at startup), and no more.. There's a bug in
the kernel creating garbage entries (rather, displaying them).

> > none /proc proc rw 0 0
>
> none? I have "proc /proc proc rw 0 0" in my /etc/mtab -> /proc/mounts.
>

> > none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
>
> Disable the devpts support in the kernel, the devfs handles that as
> well.

Hmm.. will do, but I doubt that will fix this problem.. it'll just remove
an unneeded mount..

> > none /var/shm shm rw 0 0
>
> Where does that come from? Shoud I also have that?

Probably, but probably mounted at /dev/shm, assuming that's been added to
devfs now :)

> > The first four entries are obviously bunk, as I'm actually using this
> > system... This makes things difficult, because various programs check
> > where proc is mounted so they still work if you put it in an odd place --
> > this isn't a bad idea, but if you look at my corrupted /proc/mounts,
> > you'll notice proc is mounted on / (it isn't).. The result is confusion ;)
> > I've made a real /etc/mtab file for now (uggh), but I'd much rather keep
> > it as a link to /proc/mounts..
>
> I made patches to fileutils, findutils and util-linux that make df and
> find ignore any entries mounted from "none" and makes mount free
> loopback devices when /etc/mtab links to /proc/mounts (and is
> therefore readonly). If you want them, they are in the Debian Bug
> tracking System (www.debian.org).

This is a bug in the kernel.. The garbage entries should definately NOT
be there, no matter what programs break from it.

--
Zinx Verituse <zinx@linuxfreak.com>
gpg (id 921B1558) (fp 5746 73A1 2184 A27A 9EC0  EDCC E132 BCEF 921B 1558)