Re: Floppy handling

From: Richard Stallman (rms@gnu.org)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 23:04:50 EST

    In discussing this problem, several people had possible solutions which were
    all shot down with a similar counterargument: the kernel can't assume that
    the user who is using the floppy drive is at the console.

It is not 100% guaranteed that the user is at the console.
But there are millions of machines where this is always true,
and on all machines this is usually true.

Thus, the failure that happens when the user is not in fact at the
console will only happen rarely. If it is not a disaster, it may be
worth ignoring.

And if it is possible to enable the feature through a configuration
switch, users could enable it on their personal desktop machines.
They could still log in remotely, but they would not use the floppy
drive when doing so.

But I have trouble imagining what sort of feature would be based on
this assumption. How can one take advantage of the assumption that
the processes that access the floppy are run from the console? Why do
you think we have to choose between allowing remote logins and
automatic unmounting of floppies?