Re: Floppy handling

From: Richard Stallman (rms@gnu.org)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 23:05:09 EST

    Part of the problem is security - you don't want any user to remove/use the
    floppy other than the owner of the floppy. This cannot be enforced since
    anyone with physical access to the system can remove the floppy (mounted
    or not). Removal of a mounted device will (nearly always) damage the
    file system.

This is an issue on just a tiny fraction of the machines that exist.
Even most network servers do not really have a problem, because people
can solve it just fine with an informal social arrangement.

Note that the mtools programs (which we use to avoid the inconvenience
of mount and umount) "have this problem" now. It is possible to write
a floppy, not knowing that someone else replaced it with another
floppy. So, what does practical experience say? Is this a serious
problem, in practice? I am pretty sure no one will say so. The
problem is just academic.