Re: Floppy Handling

From: Oliver Neukum (Oliver.Neukum@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 23:54:03 EST

Am Die, 20 Jun 2000 schrieben Sie:
> "Steve Holdener" <steve.holdener@wwt.com> said:
>
> [...]
>
> > I really don't see the point of all these complex schemes, anyway. In my
> > experience, a floppy disk is rarely used for heavy I/O where kewl
> > buffering techniques might improve performance. AFAIK, the common case
> > goes, "insert disk, read (or write), remove disk"--in quick succession.
> >
> > Make it easy and minimize the load on system resources. This leads me
> > back to my initial suggestion:
> >
> > mount, r/w, umount
>
> mtools(1) does exactly that. Fully userspace, similar enough to DOS for the
> most hardened PC user. Even works under other Unices...
> Or use the graphical tools Gnome gives (and I'm sure KDE does too).
> Or do the trick documented in the automount doco.

No, these are not up to the job.

1. Not all floppies are FAT
2. Not all removable media are floppies
3. Handling permissions is difficult

The automounter won't help you, because it can't unmount if your
working directory is on the medium.

Please have a look at supermount. It does solve almost all issues
connected to this problems.

        Regards
                Oliver Neukum