Resolving symbols in oops during insmod

From: Mads Bondo Dydensborg (madsdyd@challenge.dk)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 04:31:53 EST

Hi there.

First of all, sorry if this is a FAQ, but I have been looking around and
can't find anything general on the subject.

I am having trouble with a module that oops (fataly) on insmod. (This is a
modified aic7xxx driver, and it oops during the midlevel scsi scan, in
the interrupt handler).

I have been able to get the oops from the seriel console, but when I run
it through ksymoops, it (obviously) can not resolve the symbols from the
driver since it is not loaded. OTOH I can't load the driver - since this
crashes the machine. The result is that the ksymoops resolve the EIP to a
symbol from another module, like this:

>>EIP: d10e03a7 <entries+76e7/????>

entries is static array of int, char * from the module that is loaded
prior to this. This module does not cover the d10e03a7 address.

I have tried to give the -o option to ksymoops, without luck.

I have tried using insmod -m to get a symbol map, but the machine hangs
before any output (from insmod) gets to the console.

So, I am kind of stuck. Is there any magic one can use to make ksymoops
resolve symbols in a not loaded module? (I did read the readme, couldn't
find anything).

Due to some special hardware that only have a driver for 2.2.x, the kernel
I use is 2.2.13 and the ksymoops utility from it. The insmod is version
2.1.85. Intel PIII.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg.                               madsdyd@challenge.dk
  7)  Sacrifice a small animal for Good Luck

(step 7 of 8 in configuring the Open Source Global File System for Linux)