Re: Floppy handling

From: Jamie Lokier (lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 07:01:34 EST

Horst von Brand wrote:
> > Why ? You lock drive doors, too. Have the floppy driver interpret
> > locking door as keeping light on.
>
> Light on == motor running == disk spinning on flopppies

That's ok -- we only "lock" when there are pending write buffers -- and
we'll write them very soon.

Whenever the light has an off-to-on transition, we make sure to
revalidate the floppy either using a signal from the drive, or taking a
checksum of the first track.

> > No good. Users will use the icons to mount, but simply pull the
> > floppy when they are done.
>
> Which they can do under Windows, MacOS, ... and screw up their data too.

Then we should make it better then Windows/MacOS. There's no reason why
data should be screwed by simply removing the floppy after all the data
has been written.

-- Jamie