RE: X dies when compiling kernel

From: CRADOCK, Christopher (cradockc@oup.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 07:55:55 EST

I see the same on Xfree4, but not during a kernel compile. I have it during
graphic programs like Gimp. I've tracked it down to a GDI widget context not
being set-up properly and then later on when your program tries to use it X
dies suddenly under initially mysterious circumstances. (The widget is
de-referenced and a referenced routine is called, however because the widget
isn't correctly set-up, this can point to garbage....)

I haven't tracked down the routine responsible for setting up the GDI
widget, nor why it suddenly failed to set-up an object it's managed several
hundred times in the past...

I'm wondering if it's caused by the recent fiddling with the MM routines
which occasionally will kill a process?

Chris.