Re: IA64 version of 2.4.0-test1 has compile errors/config errors

From: Jes Sorensen (jes@linuxcare.com)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 15:10:54 EST

>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeff V Merkey <jmerkey@timpanogas.com> writes:

Jeff> Jes Sorensen wrote:
Jeff> When I reported this problem, it was done so in good faith and
Jeff> to determine the current state of IA64 from those who know.
Jeff> What I've discovered is that it is far from completed, and that
Jeff> the IA64 posts at www.kernel.org are not up to date or current,
Jeff> at least not to a point where your average joe could
Jeff> one-stop-shop at www.kernel.org and get something that already
Jeff> has the patches applied. This is probably OK at present since
Jeff> Intel is not shipping these systems in any appreciable quantity.
Jeff> When they roll these systems out, however, then what's up at
Jeff> www.kernel.org should be buildable without needing to surf all
Jeff> over the net looking for patches. The x86 argument is bunk -- I
Jeff> can download what's at www.kernel.org and build it without
Jeff> needing to visit www.x86Linux.org and downloading the latest x86
Jeff> patch.

And you're telling me that applis to Linux/m68k, Linux/PPC,
Linux/Sparc, Linux/ARM etc etc as well? Try again.

Jeff> At any rate, IMHO the changes for IA64 should be merged with the
Jeff> tree at www.kernel.org when it's completed simply to avoid
Jeff> having several IA64 versions lying around, some of which do not
Jeff> compile.

We keep integrating patches for all the different architectures but
with the number of Linux developers around the world it is simply not
possible to be in sync constantly.

Jeff> Intel Docs on Intel's website say:

Jeff> ".... IA64 has been supported on Linux since version 2.3.35, and
Jeff> can be downloaded from www.kernel.org...."

Jeff> It does not mention the big ugly patch at www.ia64linux.org.

Probably because the patch is not big and ugly.

Jes