Re: IA64 version of 2.4.0-test1 has compile errors/config errors

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 14:27:26 EST

Jes Sorensen wrote:

Jes,

When I reported this problem, it was done so in good faith and to
determine the current state of IA64 from those who know. What I've
discovered is that it is far from completed, and that the IA64 posts at
www.kernel.org are not up to date or current, at least not to a point
where your average joe could one-stop-shop at www.kernel.org and get
something that already has the patches applied. This is probably OK at
present since Intel is not shipping these systems in any appreciable
quantity. When they roll these systems out, however, then what's up at
www.kernel.org should be buildable without needing to surf all over the
net looking for patches. The x86 argument is bunk -- I can download
what's at www.kernel.org and build it without needing to visit
www.x86Linux.org and downloading the latest x86 patch.

Intel is proactively running around telling Linux App and Kernel
developers that this stuff is available and working, and posting
downloads on their website. I am working with it because I will be at
Intel's facility in Santa Clara on the 28,29 running our stuff on IA64
boxes they are providing for several internal projects, and want to get
as much done before we get there so we don't waste too much of Intel's
testing engineers time doing stuff we could have finished on the
simulator. I am simply concerned that the current IA64 code base at
www.kernel.org is not being kept uptodate and that this will hurt
Intel's IA64 Linux program since folks may download what's at
www.kernel.org and come away with the impression that it's more
incomplete than it is.

At any rate, IMHO the changes for IA64 should be merged with the tree at
www.kernel.org when it's completed simply to avoid having several IA64
versions lying around, some of which do not compile.

Intel Docs on Intel's website say:

".... IA64 has been supported on Linux since version 2.3.35, and can be
downloaded from www.kernel.org...."

It does not mention the big ugly patch at www.ia64linux.org.

:-\

Jeff