Over 15 partitions on SCSI?

From: B. Galliart (bgallia@orion.it.luc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 17:12:24 EST

Hello,

  I'm running a NewsNet server and using Miquel van Smoorenburg's rawfs
module [1]. I have an AMI Megaraid SCSI controller with a RAID5 44Gig
logical drive. Using rawfs & kernel 2.2.16, I was hoping to break this
into 22 2Gig partitions. When testing this type of senario on a machine
with an IDE hard drive, I had success. The kernel on bootup reported:

Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 hda11 hda12
hda13 hda14 hda15 hda16 hda17 hda18 hda19 hda20 hda21 hda22 hda23 hda24
hda25 hda26 hda27 hda28 hda29 hda30 hda31 hda32 hda33 hda34 hda35 hda36
hda37 hda38 hda39 hda40 hda41 hda42 hda43 hda44 hda45 hda46 hda47 hda48
hda49 hda50 hda51 hda52 hda53 hda54 hda55 hda56 hda57 hda58 hda59 hda60 >

Once the rawfs module was loaded, there where 59 partitions each
accessable as files.

I got very different results using the Megaraid driver/SCSI
sub-system. On bootup the kernel reported,

Partition check:
 sdb: sdb1 sdb2 sdb3 sdb4 < sdb5 sdb6 sdb7 sdb8 sdb9 sdb10 sdb11 sdb12
sdb13 sdb 14 sdb15 >

The rawfs module then also only showed what the kernel had reported during
the partition check.

Aside from one using the IDE subsystem and the other using SCSI subsystem,
the two systems are pritty much the same. The partitions tables are
similar on both and no additional partition type support (BSD disklabel,
Solaris partition table, etc.) was compiled into either.

Is there any simple patch to get the kernel to report the full partition
table when using SCSI as it does with the IDE driver? I do not need any
additional device file support since using rawfs I am mounting the entire
drive (/dev/sdb), I just need the kernel recognize the existence of
additional partitions beyond those addressable via device files.

Thanks.