Re: Resolving symbols in oops during insmod

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 19:32:18 EST

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:31:53 +0200 (CEST),
Mads Bondo Dydensborg <madsdyd@challenge.dk> wrote:
>I am having trouble with a module that oops (fataly) on insmod. (This is a
>modified aic7xxx driver, and it oops during the midlevel scsi scan, in
>the interrupt handler).
>
>I have been able to get the oops from the seriel console, but when I run
>it through ksymoops, it (obviously) can not resolve the symbols from the
>driver since it is not loaded. OTOH I can't load the driver - since this
>crashes the machine.

Upgrade to modutils 2.3.11, ksymoops 2.3.4, ftp://ftp.ocs.com.au/pub.
That will give you better debugging once you get the data. Because the
machine is crashing, getting the data is messy. Your best option is to
add a 120 second delay in the module init routine

  current->state = TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE;
  schedule_timeout(120*HZ);

insmod will appear to hang, switch consoles and copy the data you need

  cp /proc/modules /proc/ksyms /usr/src/linux/System.map /tmp; sync; sync

Capture the oops on the serial console. Reboot, copy the oops back to
the failing system and

ksymoops -m /tmp/System.map -k /tmp/ksyms -l /tmp/modules < oops