Re: It's time to get rid of zImage

From: Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 20:24:46 EST

[ Executive summary: it looks like LILO is the offender here. Or, more
  accurately, whatever LILO is doing behind the scenes to load the kernel
  and it's interaction with my BIOS. Or, maybe just a screwy BIOS. ;-) ]

On 18 Jun 2000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> This sounds like a BIOS problem. Could you please try to boot using
> SYSLINUX instead (SYSLINUX doesn't use the BIOS block move feature?)

As of the Red Hat 6.1 and 6.2 releases, I haven't had any problems
actually booting the installation media. However, I had just assumed
(what's that old saying about assuming?) that RH was shipping zImage
kernels for the installer. That's the only exposure I've had to SYSLINUX,
I'm afraid.

Not having a copy of it handy to try out I gave GRUB a whirl on Khimenko's
advice, which booted both test kernels (the zImage and bzImage 2.2.16)
without a problem. Since I prefer GRUB anyway (just hadn't gotten around
to configuring it for this machine), LILO has just bit the dust here. ;-)

[ Actually, maybe not. I'm trying a new BIOS revision tonight to see if
  that clears up the LILO problems. ]

> Also, please try a stripped-down zImage, even if it isn't the feature
> set you need... we're only interested in if the thing will boot.

I wonder if anyone has actually tried to build a zImage 2.4.0-test1 yet; I
had to take out damn near everything to get an image small enough that
LILO wouldn't choke. ;-)

As a final note, 2.4.0-test1-ac21 did actually get past the boot loader
with GRUB, so it's fine too.

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net>           http://www.nyx.net/~emarshal/