Re: Floppy handling

From: Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 20:23:25 EST

> It stops other people that wish to use the floppy station.
> "oooh, it's busy!" There are universities that save money
> by not purchasing a floppy drive for every machine, and
> businesses that do the same for security reasons.
>
> Users that occationally need to use a floppy use the one
> machine that have one. But they need the file
> on their own machine, so they use the network.

    This is a very rare case and is well served with some sort of user
notification on the console. The notification cannot be perfect as the
actual user may not be present there but its better than the alternatives I
have heard so far.

> You don't want to do it ASAP, a reasonable timeout is *great* for
> throughput. But then you need the light informing users that
> ejecting now is a bad idea. Syncing is good as the current cache
> can hold back blocks for a long time, greatly increasing the
> risk of an impatient user ejecting. "My cp command finished, and the
> light
> turned off. Why did it mess up on eject? what is this umount thingy?"

    I wouldn't worry about any timeouts in order to improve throughput.
With the floppy being such a slow device you can almost be garanteed that
more than enougth data will be queued up to fully and efficiently utilize
any writing operations.