Re: Floppy handling

From: Stephen Thorne (sjthorne@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 09:46:57 EST

> Well it's just as much a problem as now. You can already remove a disk
> after writing it, without unmounting, provided all the data reached the
> disk. The problem is when you insert the next disk :-)

I had a problem earlier today with my (ancient) laptop and the diskette,
I'll be reporting it later this week when I've gathered a little more
in the way of error messages and testing and the such...

But basically the kernel and the floppy disagreed, and I decided to
eject the floppy for the greater good, and I ended up with a hung
'ls -la --color' that refused to respond like a civilised process
and die on a 'kill -9 pid' and I was forced to halt the machine,
and boot it up again in order to use another diskette in the machine.

Surely there must be some way of telling linux that "No, that is no
longer mounted, it was removed by a 6'3" smelly unix hacker more than
500 billion cpu cycles ago, you can stop thinking the filesystem is
in use".

Steve