Re: More PCI races... (wake_up_process)

From: David Hinds (dhinds@valinux.com)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 15:11:34 EST

> After thinking on my reply of yesterday (see below) I think one should
> use one of the exported interfaces. These include wait_event() and its
> companion wake_up().

I know that there are already facilities for waking up threads in
response to interrupts.

I don't want to create a kernel thread per device to handle one-time
device shutdown tasks. I don't care that threads are lightweight: it
just seems ugly. So I thought it would be convenient to have a simple
API for scheduling stuff to run "soon" in a kernel thread context.
And this fits nicely with what Jeff Merkey had suggested as "WorkToDo"
lists, for handling things that don't fit the dedicated kernel thread
model.

-- Dave