[ADMIN] COM domains are randomly broken

From: Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@sonera.fi)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 04:03:22 EST

I just spotted a flurry of "No such domain" (NXDOMAIN in DNS codes)
errors for lots of .COM domain addresses.

It turns out that one of .COM TLD servers has broken database which
in its opinnion is valid, but in reality it is severely truncated.

So if the DNS system hits that server along the lookup resolving,
then the result is NXDOMAIN, BUT if it goes via any of the 8 others,
then the address works :-/ Add there negative cacheing in the
bind, and received "NXDOMAIN" will stick for a moment before new
real lookup.

Sadly I spotted that only after I had done initial broken addresses
removal sweep of the day -- lots of false positives this time around.

/Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi> <matti.aarnio@sonera.fi>