Re: Multiple PCI busses (WAS:Re: performance downgrade on PowerPC)

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 01:01:57 EST

   Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:52:25 -0400 (EDT)
   From: James Simmons <jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu>

      So each hardware interface will then have to have a bus ioctl to
   tell you what bus it works on. Then you can go and use /dev/pcimmap
   or /dev/zorrommap etc. Yuck!!

At the core, I would agree with you, it can become a mess.

However, I suggested the interface this way for a reason. Each device
type specifies a particular bus and device differently. PCI uses the
bus/device/function triple, SBUS uses device path strings or firmware
device tree nodes, and I'm sure zorro has it's own method of device
specification too.

We already have BUS drivers for each of these entities, so all the
details and implementation of this /dev/${BUS}map thing can be
contained in those drivers.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com