Re: Symbols match 2.2 <-> 2.4

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 02:25:56 EST

Reto Baettig writes:
> I don't think that the signalprocessing algorithms for the modem stuff
> are still so confidential. It would be definitely less work for lucent
> if they would release that code and everyone could compile it for their
> actual kernel.

Not sure about today, but a couple of years ago, Corel Computer tried to
incorporate a software modem into the Netwinder. They had all the hardware
there, but ended up removing it because the algorithms are patented if you
want to do anything over 9600 baud (which of course requires a payment to
the relevent license holder).
   _____
  | | | | http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/aboutme.html / / |
  / | THE developer of ARM Linux |+| /|\