Re: Multiple PCI busses (WAS:Re: performance downgrade on PowerPC)

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (bh40@calva.net)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 05:58:45 EST

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000, Martin Mares <mj@suse.cz> wrote:

>We probably don't need any new devices for configuring special features
of PCI
>devices, querying type of byte scattering or mmaping MMIO -- all such things
>can be handled via ioctl() on /proc/bus/pci files.

So you mean we should rather add ioctls to /proc/bus/pci in order for
userland to query per-device iobase, membase, and shift and use the old-
way mmap'ing of kernel memory using those bases ? Well, that would
probably work. I liked the driver idea of mmap'ing handled in a
completely abstract way, without having to actually know the various
iobases and such. But I beleive it should be possible to make an ioctl
that actually doe the job of mmap'ing, isn't it ? (we have to pass
additional parameters to the mmap since we need to say which BAR we want
to get mapped).

On the side of multiple busses, you say it would work to have several
pci_bus structures with the same bus number ? What would happen with /
proc/bus/pci then ? Won't it have collisions ?

I'll look into making some Alpha-like re-mapping code for PPC next week,
I beleive it's safer for now.

Ben.