Re: how to recovery my NTFS partition

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 08:52:26 EST

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 02:36:32PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I disagree. There were various reports of such damages. If you use the
> > write option you should probably know a lot of about what you're doing
> > (like how to repair broken NTFS file systems). Those clueful individuals
> > can comment in the Config.in option.
>
> Yeah IDE can cause problems with some setups too. Lets hide the IDE DMA
> options...

NTFS write seems to cause problems in all setups though.

e.g. Jeff Merkey who has apparently seen the NTFS specs told us that
the NTFS write code makes some assumptions that are not true and will
break all NTFS partitions sooner or later.

Also with Windows2000 it is instant NTFS kill because it cannot
deal with the new volume manager.

Sure, Linux gives you enough rope etc.etc. but in this case the
button to make it explode is a bit too lose for my tastes.

-Andi